INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF DENTISTS (ICD)
The International college of Dentists is a leading honorary organization
dedicated to the recognition of outstanding professional achievements,
meritorious service and to the practice of dentistry for the benefit of all
The college was incorporated in Washington DC on July 9 th , 1928. At present we
have 14 sections all over the world and they include USA, Canada, Inter America
(Mexico), South America, Europe, India, Japan, Australia, Philippines, Middle
East, Korea, Taipei Section, China & Myanmar.
The India and Sri Lanka section which is section VI came into being on 1 st
January, 1964 on the initiation of the Padma Bhushan awardee, late Dr. R.
Ahmed as an autonomous section. The college was termed as India Section of
the International College of Dentists with Head Office at New Delhi. Nepal was
added to this section in 2005. Our section has 5 zones to carry its activities. The
International College of Dentists India, Sri Lanka and Nepal section has about
450 Masters and fellows.
The college awards fellowship to the Dentists who have brought honour to the
profession through devoted service, high ethical behavior, and have made
significant contributions by way of participation in social causes.
ICD inducts fellows every year through a very stringent process where the
candidates after putting in their applications are screened by a committee and
later approved by the Board of Regents for Induction into the college. The
induction takes place at a formal Convocation every Year.
Aims and Objectives
The International College of Dentists in an Academy of Arts and Sciences of
Dentistry with following aims and objectives:
- To recognize conspicuous and meritorious service to the profession of
- To cultivate and foster cordial relations amongst those engaged in the
practice of the arts and sciences of dentistry, and of medicine and allied
- To cooperate with dentists and various organisations in the interest of
progress in the arts and sciences of dentistry.
- To endeavour to unite out standing members of the dental profession of India
for the purpose of fostering the growth and the diffusion of dental knowledge.
- To establish and maintain a high standard of competency and character for
practitioners of dentistry.
- To uphold, assist and maintain a high standard in dental education and in
regulating the practice of dentistry.
- To foster and aid in the clinical practice of dentistry in hospital as well as civil practice.
- To perpetuate the history of dentistry and maintaining high standard of ethics.
- To encourage post - graduate study.
- To foster measures for the prevention of disease resulting especially from dental disorders.
- To maintain in the dignity of the profession in its relation to the patient, to
interest and instruct the public in oral hygiene and attempt to secure a higher
appreciation of the aims of the dental profession; and
- To provide a method of granting fellowships in this institution.
Activities of the College
- Student Plaque Awards for all recognised Dental Institutions
- ICD Merit Awards, ICD Donor's Awards in different subjects of Dental
Sciences and 1 st & 2 nd Prizes for ICD Essay Competition open to all Dental
Surgeons of India.
- ICD organises Scientific Sessions, Continuing Education Programmes, and
Dental Camps for the public and School Dental checkup.
- Conducts Zonal activities in different parts of the country for the fellows and
Dental Surgeons, to interact with specialist in different fields of Dental Profession.
- Journal of International College of Dentists (JICD), a Bi Annual Publication
of the ICD is a well accepted and sought after Journal for Dental colleges
Researchers all over India and has also been recognized and rated high by the Dental Council of India.
- ICD in recent years has initiated Community Health Projects to bring quality
Dentistry to the rural and under privileged Indian population